Thursday, July 20, 2017

Winner, winner


The winner of last week's random drawing is lucky number 13, JanineMarie of Quilts From the Little House. Janine is finishing up her improv piece called Deconstructed Coins. I just love that quilt, and can't wait to see the final quilting and binding. Go check out her latest post, where you can peek at the finished flimsy and her improvised pieced backing. Congratulations, Janine! A little bit of purple fabric will be winging it's way to you soon!



I finished two little toddler quilts this week. This one uses a fish fabric for the focal blocks and simple four patches for the alternate blocks. Simple cross hatch quilting with my walking foot made for a speedy finish.



For the back, I used one of my new pieces of fabric from Lydia. It's nice how these little quilts can be backed with a single width of fabric and no piecing.



This one features all cat and mouse fabrics. The pattern is called County Lines, and it pieces up very easily. I quilted it with a relaxed meander in turquoise thread and finished with a stripey binding on both quilts. They will both be donated to my old Project Linus group in California.



We are settling in at our marina in Charleston. This gorgeous yacht is one of our closest neighbors. She's 120 feet long and recently sold for $13,000,000. The only people we've seen aboard her are crew members. There have often been dramatic thunderstorms in the afternoons, and I love the dark, brooding sky in this photo.


On the less glamorous side of things, this wad of icky, stinky marine....stuff...was clogging the intake to our air conditioners. When the bedroom a/c stopped, we scratched our heads. But when the quilt room a/c failed with a sigh, THAT really got my attention! Stop everything and fix it now!! Fortunately, Sean is an excellent Chief Engineer, and got the cool air flowing again in about an hour. Whew!







13 comments:

  1. In Charleston, I know you need the A/C! Glad you got it fixed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a lot of zeroes behind that second #13! Glad you're a/c got fixed quickly. At first I thought that was some kind of stuff animal in the picture, until I looked a little closer. LOL. It's late, and my eyes are sleepy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for Janine! It's always fun to be a winner. Your two little quilts are charming. That's quite a pricey tub you've got for a neighbor! Can't imagine what it must be like to have that much money. Glad Sean was able to giagnose and fix your a/c problem. I imagine Charleston is pretty warm this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who says #13 is unlucky!! I love your county line quilt, pretty sure I made one of those a long time ago. Great finishes;) I so agree with you that it is great when you don't have to stop and piece a backing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ewww! What is that stuff? Glad you got it out of there and back to coolness! Congrats to Janine and good for you for all your latest finishes! You really do crank them out, Louise! And they are CUTE!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Two lovely quilts and both for a great cause. You do 'simple' and make it look great. I've made several lap quilts about 40 inches wide and used a WOF for the backing, it's a great and economical use of fabric. I'm glad your air con is back in full working order, not that I need air con, beginning of the week I needed my heating, in summer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats to JanineMarie! We love these afternoon thunderstorms. Always cool things nicely. Know you were glam Sean could get the AC back to cooling quickly. What size do you make these small Quilts?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the glamour you have living in a boat - cleaning out air cons etc!!! Great quilts.... you are keeping busy. Do you do a lot of exploring at the different places you visit?
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  9. The toddler quilts turned out nicely! I especially like the Rainbow Fish quilt. If you need a quilter friend while in Charleston, let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  10. two gorgeous quilts, and we have been to Charleston and i loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL! Why is it we always forget to clean out filters. Congrats on the toddler quilts! Perfect for project Linus.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh they are very cute quilts. How wide is the black strip on the cat and mouse quilt? I've been wanting to do a 'stained glass' type effect for a while but wonder how tricky it is doing a really narrow strip. And lucky you with a windfall of fabric - isn't it wonderful how quilters recognize the generosity of time and effort of others. Very happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful quilt finishes! Yea! Some kiddos are going to be very happy indeed! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment and I'll reply as soon as I can.