I'm still catching up on quilts I finished in late 2020, and today's group are all for Covered in Love. I made them from orphan blocks, many sewn by Priscilla. This first one is made with blocks that I believe came from a tutorial over on Jo's Country Junction. Priscilla made 98 of them, and I added two more for a 10x10 layout.
I thought the colors looked good with some strips of train fabric I had in my stash, so I used that for borders. I couldn't figure out a good way to make the trains go around the corners, so I fussy cut a different fabric for cornerstones.
The backing is a big chunk of dark brown with a holly leaf motif, plus strips of the last of the trains. I hope this brings comfort to the family of a railroad enthusiast!
The second quilt started with a big pile of scrappy nine patches made by Priscilla. There was no particular color that stood out as dominant, so I did a little experiment. If I added purple and beige half square triangles, would it make the over all quilt extra purple-y? I think the answer is yes!
For the back, I pieced together a number of flannel fat quarters that were donated to Covered in Love. If you look closely, several have a bit of purple in them, too. It's very soft and cuddly with all that fuzzy flannel.
And finally, this quilt is made with the last blocks from a block drive from several years ago. I think this is called a Barn Raising layout. I put the four blocks with solid blue and green fabrics in the middle, and surrounded them with the softer florals. That made a square top a little too small for Covered in Love. It sat for a long time before I had the idea to add the strips of blue striped fabric at top and bottom to make a rectangle. I like the way it picks up that central bright blue, too.
Chunks of cream with a tiny red star, solid red, and the rest of the blue stripe make a rather modern backing. A solid red binding rounds it all out and gets these lingering orphan blocks to work spreading love and comfort.