Tuesday, December 31, 2019

2019 Year in Review


Happy New Year's eve! Lots of quilt bloggers are looking back at 2019 today to see what we accomplished, so I'm joining in. I had a busy year, and I've collected my photos in collages sorted roughly by date. Early in the year I had a batch of gift quilts, with a few charity ones thrown in. 


This group featured several panel quilts, a finish from 2018's Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC,) and the fruit-themed flimsy. One of the charities I support, Victoria's Quilts, asks for only tops.


This next batch had more panels (yes, that's a second quilt with the same Geisha) and the start of my new journey of finishing other people's orphan blocks for Covered in Love (CiL.)


Toward the middle of the year, I was up to my eyeballs in "Mendota" quilts for the Sunshine Online Quilt Guild. Most of the Mendotas were tops made by others, finished by me. I did make a few of my own "from scratch." A couple more CiL orphan finishes, too.


More orphans and Mendotas! This is when I decided to write a series of blog posts on different ways to put together orphan blocks: Giving Orphans a Home. This series will continue in 2020.


This next batch shows a few finishes for 2019 RSC, more orphans, and a Round Robin from 2018 that finally got quilted and bound.


And finally, my latest finishes. They are a few more for CiL, both orphans and original piecing by me. Whew! One thing I've learned this year is that quilts sure go together quickly when someone else makes all the blocks or when using a panel. Or both!

I had a great quilty 2019 and am looking forward to 2020. Lots more orphan blocks are waiting for their chance to meet their forever homes, and I have plans to do a deep dive into my stash and use up some hoarded fabrics. And I'm so happy to be part of the larger online quilting community, sharing inspiration and encouragement with all of you. Your kind comments keep me connected even when I'm out in the middle of the ocean. Thank you for being a BIG part of my journey!

26 comments:

  1. Over the moon and almost to Jupiter you go!!!! Wow, you really had a big year of finishes. Such a great display of quilts that will touch so many lives. Thanks for sharing all your ideas, and collection of orphan blocks that turn into such great viewing. Happy New Year too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH my goodness... so much quilty accomplishment!
    I do love the sampler quilts the most!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had a wonderfully productive 2019! Best wishes for 2020.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We should be thanking YOU for the wonderful quilty journey you’ve shared with us in 2019! It’s been such fun to watch and learn (and drool). I hope your 2020 is as fun and productive as 2019 was (and with no lightening strikes!) xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. All your finishes provided great inspiration! You have spread an amazing amount of quilty love around the world in 2019. Thanks for all your kind comments on my blog.

    I am itching to get into my orphan block box....maybe just to sort things into starter kits......

    ReplyDelete
  6. Be sure to wear your life jacket when you do that deep dive!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing to see the results of your productivity and no doubt they have had a wonderful impact on people's lives. All the best to you in 2020.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am amazed at how much you can get done in such a small space and on a "moving house"! Love them all. What inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have truly had a great quilty year! So fun looking through your accomplishments. It's just awesome how much you do for charity. Here's to another great year!! Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Look at all of your quilts. How amazing. You have had one quilty year! Great job. Happy New year my quilty friend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have had a great year, Louise! Many have, or will, benefit from your beautiful quilts, and I know each one will bring them comfort. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for sharing with us the photos and the quilts with the recipients. Now I feel like a real slacker.

    ReplyDelete
  13. With each new photo you revealed more of my favorite quilts of the year! Your Mendota quilt series and Giving Orphans a Home blog posts were definitely highlights, too. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with in 2020!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What else can I add? You've had an incredibly productive year. Getting that many quilts into the hands of those who need them is amazing. Now on to the adventures of a new decade.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, Louise, I think 2019 must have been your quiltiest year ever. Just think of all the people who are now snuggled under all those gems. I know you had “help” with the blocks, but we all have to appreciate the time that went into combining them to such delights. Happy, Happy Quilty New Year! I’m already looking forward to you sharing more about how you work/play.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, what a quilting year Louise! Thanks for the look back at all those great quilts that are now busy bringing joy to others. Happy 2020 to you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Louise, Happy New Year! Thank you for a review of some of the many, many quilts you made that are filled with love & hope. You are truly amazing at what & who you are. I really enjoyed the orphan series & believe it has inspired & encouraged a lot of quilters to be on the look-out as to what we can do in the future for others. You are a true inspiration & your love for others shines through in all the quilts & volunteer work that you do. Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love seeing all your quilt finishes, Louise - you are an inspiration to me with your generosity! I love the "Giving Orphans a Home" series, too, and look forward to more of it. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great job, Louise! I enjoyed looking over your quilts again. Happy new year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, what a lot of quilty goodness in one post! You should be so proud of all the lovely projects that flowed from your talented fingers. Safe sailing and all the very best for 2020 from me.

    ReplyDelete
  21. a fabulous selection of quilts and so many people would have been made happy with then.... a great way to use your talent...
    Happy New Year...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow! You have certainly had a productive year. Wishing you a great new year too. I have made plans for the quilt(s) I want to make for the Wrap a Smile charity thanks to your post about them. Can you please tell me more about the charity that only wants tops. I'm great at making tops but not so good about getting them quilted.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh Louise, Louise what a star you are! Such a lot of beautiful quilts and you have such a good heart to give them to the charities you support. We'll look forward to more of your 2020 quilts.
    With huge admiration I wish you and Sean a very Happy and Healthy New Year and safe journeys on the water - please pass on my wishes to Angel!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. You had a very productive 2019. Such a variety colors and styles in your finishes last year. Wishing you an equally productive 2020. Looking forward to seeing all your new projects and more of the orphan block efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm exhausted looking at all you accomplished! Do you sleep? I do love your orphan block projects. Thanks again for sharing your orphan block tips. Have a wonderful, happy and productive 2020.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank YOU for all you do to enrich our quilting community as well as to help the world. What an amazing array! Much love to you, my friend. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment and I'll reply as soon as I can.