Thursday, February 21, 2019

Sharing my Good Fortune


This year for the first time, I participated in Bonnie Hunter's mystery quilt along, Good Fortune. I knew her quilts usually end up quite large, so I decided at the start to only make about two thirds of the blocks at each step.


I stuck with her proposed color scheme of red, orange, blue and green, with light neutral background. The blocks were fun to make and used up a lot of scraps! The full pattern calls for another fancy pieced border, but I decided to stop after the green triangles. The size was just right for one of my preferred charities.


The busy fabrics and dense blocks called for simple quilting, and I used my go-to stipple. The backing is a soft green plaid given to me by my DH's aunt. An inset piece of a green blender made it easy to sew in the required label for Quilts Beyond Borders. That's where this quilt has been donated, and other volunteers will make sure it gets into the hands of someone who needs a quilty hug.
 

This little wheelchair quilt has also been finished and donated. It will be given to someone in a nursing home in Alabama, where my friend Doris' guild does their charitable giving. The train panels were given to me by Kathleen of the Sunshine Online Quilt Guild, and all the other blocks were made as part of Sunshine's monthly block lotto.


So all I had to do was put the pieces together, find these gray and red chunks in my stash for a backing, and quilt it up. The combination of panels and prefinished blocks makes for a fast little quilt. 

I'm so fortunate to have access to so many generous friends who help me create and distribute these quilts. And how great that Bonnie Hunter shares her design talents for free each year with her mystery QALs. 

19 comments:

  1. Beautiful quilts and so generous of you to make and donate them. The Good Fortune quilt is really fabulous, and how wonderful for the recipient who will have the good fortune to receive it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great kob pn good fortune. I may start sandwiching mine tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. two wonderful quilts going to great places …. I love how scrappy quilts always come together so well....
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really need to spell check. Fat fingers and small screen are making me look silly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like your scaled down version of Good Fortune!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good fortune is such a pretty quilt. Great idea, only doing 2/3rds of the blocks. I hadn't even thought of that, but it would be a good way to make her quilts. I get overwhelmed with how fast she goes through the pattern, knowing I wouldn't be able to keep up. So many wonderful charitable quilts, Louise. You have such a generous heart! I'm sure they will be enjoyed and loved.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Someone will have good fortune when they receive your wonderful quilt! It's so pretty Louise.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never participated in one of Bonnie's mysteries, but kind of wish I had tried it this year, as I really liked this pattern and the colors. You had a great idea to make yours 2/3 size - it's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh didn't you do a great job with the smaller version of Good Fortune quilt, can't believe you have it already quilted!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Catching up with some of your recent posts. You've certainly been busy. Good Fortune is beautiful. I actually like it as a smaller quilt without the extra borders. The triangles finish it off nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yea for a Bonnie Hunter Quilt "Light" finish. I love following along with what everyone does with her patterns. I like your resizing--it's perfect for a donation.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your version of Good Fortune turned out beautifully. Lots of great stitching and finishing going on at your place.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your Good Fortune quilt will bring joy to the one who receives it. I've never done a mystery quilt but would like to try someday. I love the wheelchair quilt. It has lots to look at & will keep someone warm & toasty. Thanks for all you do for all the charities you help. You are a true blessing to so many people.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great job on the BH mystery quilt, Louise!!! It turned out just the right size.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You're so clever to do Bonnie's Mystery quilt at a smaller size. I think her mystery projects can be overwhelming, and this is a great way to do it! How generous of you to donate the quilt! And the lap quilt will be a great quilt for a man.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm always amazed at how busy you stay. I've not tried a BH mystery, but maybe one 2/3 the size would be tempting......

    ReplyDelete
  17. A very sane approach to a Bonnie Hunter mystery and a great result.

    Also, a nice mix of panel and lotto blocks. Reminds me I have one of those panels somewhere . . .

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow your Bonnie Hunter quilt is just so beautiful! Thank you for making such gorgeous quilts and giving them to people in need. I was thinking 'lucky recipient' but then realized no. The recipient, although deeply appreciating the quilt, would rather have her health. So thank you for giving of yourself to brighten someone's day/life.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Really beautiful!
    Great choices of color and fabrics.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment and I'll reply as soon as I can.