Sunday, December 10, 2017

Quilts in the wild


One of the things I really enjoy when reading quilting blogs is seeing your finished quilts being used. So I thought I'd share a few of my finished quilts "in the wild," where they are being used by their recipients. The lap quilt in the top photo was given to my friend A back in August of 2015. (Those are DH's knees, not A's.)


A recently moved to a new home, and the quilt decorates his bedroom. It's really a small quilt. I make them a bit bigger now, but this was pretty early in my quilting career.


As you can see, the quilt and matching mini quilt are the only sources of color in this room. I'm glad I chose fairly subtle batiks for this piece. He's a true minimalist, so I'm really touched that he chose to put my quilt in a place of honor. 


This baby quilt was made in August of this year. I sewed it because the pretty fabrics whispered in my ear to be used, but I didn't know who to give it to. Usually I donate baby/toddler quilts to charity, but this one wanted to live with me for a while. In October, I learned that dear friend J became a first time grandmother to little Ryleigh, who was born just a few days before I finished the quilt. Well! Clearly, this is Ryleigh's quilt! Right now it is living at Grandma J's house, waiting for the next visit.


She's a cutie patootie, for sure! I hope Great Grandma Dee will send me a photo of the baby on the quilt, because those are the best pics, aren't they?


This little quilt was made for my artist friend, Maria, who had her first baby just a few months ago. I was inspired by the paintings of a tree in each of the four seasons, created by Maria, her hubby, her mom and her MIL. Maria chose to hang the quilt with the paintings and I'm touched that she considers it wall-worthy! We'll be meeting Maria and her new family in the next few weeks.


And finally, I gave this funky cat quilt to my fun and funny cousin Renee. Like me, she's a maker (knitting is her groove thang) and a bit of a crazy cat (and dog) lady, so I knew it would amuse her. She sent this photo of it draped across her special knitting chair where it lies ready to cuddle under on chilly evenings in her northeast city.

Got any photos of your quilts living in their forever homes? I'd love to see them!


12 comments:

  1. I wasn't sure what I was going to read with a blog title like that. Very fun way to look at it. Hmmm, the only "in the wild shots" I have are of the SIT's quilts on her dorm bed. I should fix that. Thanks for the suggestion. (Oh, you've got some very fun and lovely quilts out there being cuddled.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love and cuddles to share. How wonderful! Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that blue/brown batik quilt, wow he really is a minimalist by those pic's! Fun to see then being appreciated isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun to see your quilts being used! It warms my heart when my recipients use my quilts; however, I don't get many pictures, just stories. I don't think I will every be a minimalist; certainly not in my quilt room! Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your work looks beautiful in their new homes. It is always nice to see them in use.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your post here has me thinking on several levels. I love photographing quilts 'in the wild' but to me that means taking the finished quilt outside and getting photos in beautiful settings. I have very few photos of quilts that I've gifted being used in their new setting. Something I need to remedy now. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely to see the quilts up and being used by others...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this post! I love seeing wehre quilts end up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's so cool to see your quilt hanging with the trees - It goes so perfectly with them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How nice to see your quilts being used. Looks like your quilt for your artist friend is absolutely PERFECT between her artwork. What a beautiful display. Babies & baby quilts are always a delight to see. I want to me a semi-minimalist but my DH is totally the opposite...so we have way to much "stuff". What an honor for your friend to display/use the quilts you made for him.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's lovely to see quilts being used and appreciated, after all it's what we make them for.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a bonus to have pics of your quilts in their new homes!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment and I'll reply as soon as I can.