Sunday, November 19, 2017

Cool Cats


Cool Cats is a finish! Well, except for a trip through the washer and dryer, at least. This quilt will have to wait until we're back at a dock for its spa day and journey into crinkliness.


And I'm expecting it to crinkle quite nicely, what with all the different quilting motifs I used on it. Each fabric has its own design: stipples to ribbon candy, wishbones to flower petals. The focal ribbon of Cool Cats got outline quilting to make the kitties poof out a bit.


On the white background, I did a bit stippling in the corners and wavy lines radiating from the ends of the ribbons. The small white inner squares are unquilted except for SITD. A bright green binding picks up several bits of that same green from the cat fabrics.


Another piece of the yellow plaid from Sean's aunt makes a fine backing, and it shows all the quilting well.


And look! I even got the backing pretty straight this time, even if the photo is a bit crooked. Nothing is square or parallel on a boat, so I'm hoping you'll be distracted by either the Master Quilt Holder's feet, or perhaps our sturdy windlass and anchor chain.


Cool Cats will be donated to Covered in Love, a charity that provides comfort quilts to patients who pass away in the hospital. The fabrics were generously donated directly to the charity and I was very happy to be asked to use them.


I admit that at first I was a little worried about using such bright, cheerful, whimsical fabric for a quilt that would end up in the hands of a grieving family. Then I remembered that the charity's coordinator, Kat, has made several quilts in similarly upbeat colors. She tells us that the chaplains who distribute the quilts have a sense of what will work best for each family. Perhaps there are young grandchildren sitting at the bedside of an elderly patient in renal failure, who might be charmed and comforted by the smiling kitties.

21 comments:

  1. What a cute quilt. It is cheerful but I am sure it will give comfort to a family. Love your quilting. Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Louise! I love all the different quilting patterns, especially the outlined cats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great quilt! You did such a good job with the quilting & I really like that "ribbon look" pattern. Can you share the name of the pattern with us? It will find it's way into the home & heart of a perfect family member who needs love & comfort. Thanks so much for making it for CiL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous quilt and that pattern is perfect for those cheerful fabrics... great quilting too... where are you now?
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done and I think the plaid was the perfect backing! Who wouldn't be comforted by kitties!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations, nice finish.
    Beautiful colors and I've found
    kitties to be very comforting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is such a cute quilt. Love how those cats just fit right in! Great finish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful quilt! The bright colours are fabulous and will perk up and comfort the lucky recipient.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super neat finish, Louise! This is very similar in style to the quilt I made for Ashley (and haven't quilted yet). I wanted to do a different motif for each "strip" and I can't quite tell how you did it Did you stop the motif when it ran into another fabric running across it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun quilt, someone will treasure it I am sure. So nice of you help out and use the fabric Kat sent you for this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is a great quilt. A bright note in the times of grief is a joy to hold close. I think it will be so loved.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a clever design; the ends of the ribbons look like cat ears (at least I think so, but I've also not had any coffee yet, so that might be why). I love the colors, and the quilting to make the kitties pop is a grand idea. I agree that a kitty quilt will be very comforting to someone.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is a great quilt pattern and I really like it in the brights. I know someone will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think a quilt made and quilted with love then gifted to someone grieving will always bring comfort, no doubt about that.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your quilting!!! Such a wonderful group to donate to.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very effective use of a novelty print, it works so well in this pattern. The quilting is fun too. Congrats on a fun quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the cats! Happy thanksgiving

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great pattern and the cats are purrrrfect! Another great finish for a wonderful cause, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this pattern and all the variety of quilting. I think I will be studying the different quilt motifs, as I would love to try that on a quilt. You always have just the right fabrics to complement each other while showcasing a particular design. It is a cheerful quilt for what could be a poignant situation, but that's what makes it special. Goodbyes involve so many emotions, especially when the goodbye has been a very long process, and I'm sure this quilt will comfort in just the right way.

    ReplyDelete
  20. All right, well I thought I'd commented on this one (maybe it was in a previous post, or on Instagram? who knows with my brain) I love it! Love the weaving ribbons and the cats and the quilting (oh MY!) and that it's a CiL quilt. I saw another for Kat just yesterday, privately from a girl who doesn't blog anymore but WOW what a quilt. Such a thoughtful and meaningful cause.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I missed this one.....and love this pattern. So cool and great for those BIG novelty prints.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment and I'll reply as soon as I can.