Sunday, October 1, 2017

Groovy, Dude


This week I stitched up and finished a fun, easy quarter square triangle quilt I'm calling Groovy, Dude. The fabrics were a fat quarter bundle of batiks in deep, saturated autumnal colors. Even though they are classic batiks made with the wax method, they reminded me of tie dye fabrics from the '70s.


Here's a shot of the flimsy with the light behind it, like stained glass. I love these colors so much! After the fabric arrived, I spent a couple days thinking about what pattern I should use. Several much more elaborate designs swirled around my head, but the rich colors kept whispering, "Simpler, simpler."


Then I visited the historic Unitarian church in Charleston, and this beautiful stained glass window caught my eye. I don't think angels *actually* sang, but it felt a bit like a sign. OK, then, how about hour glass/quarter square triangle blocks?


I put the triangles together randomly and am happy with how the colors play together.


For the quilting, I kept it super duper simple as well. Stitch in the ditch along each seam combined with Quilters Dream wool batting made for poofy yummy goodness. This is the first time I've ever used wool batting and I LOVE it! It's a little fussy at the edges of the quilt sandwich, since the wool tends to get caught in the walking foot feed dogs, but other than that it stitched up so nicely.


The back used up the rest of the batik scraps, plus some linen yardage I had in more groovy colors. Avocado green, anyone? It's a bit hard to tell in these photos, but the binding is a nice tonal purple and the bobbin thread is a variegated red/green/yellow.


This quilt will be donated to Covered in Love. Which is only fair, because the fabrics were donated to Covered in Love! Kat, who coordinates the charity, was very happy to tell me that the organization is growing. I've committed to sewing up a number of quilts for CiL using some of the generously donated fabrics and batting. I'm excited to be able to help Kat out in this way. 


These donated butterflies are calling to be sewn next, I think. That muted blue on the bottom of the stack is gorgeous, and that's a true diagonal stripe in brown. Those are hard to find!


Another one of Kat's sponsors donated this line of coordinating cat fabrics. They are Henry Glass designs and so fun! Those are one third yard cuts plus a big panel. So generous! I'll add some Kona Snow from my stash and start racking my brain for the perfect pattern to use these soon.

Covered in Love has already provided over 220 quilts to grieving families, and it is lucky to have many hands to help keep it going. From a single block for the latest block drive (a fun, fall-themed Scrappy Susannah!) to finished quilts, there are many ways to get involved if you're interested. Learn more about the charity here.


I'm a big believer in doing the type of charity work that calls YOUR name. There are so many ways to give back to a world that needs our love and kindness: volunteer at the animal shelter, cook meals for seniors, lead a Girl Scout troop, pick up trash on the side of the road, plant a tree, knit caps for preemie babies, give blood, listen with compassion to a friend. Each small act adds up, and each act is important, so do what feels right for you. For me, that means making quilts. And for my husband, it means volunteering his time with the American Red Cross. He'll be traveling to the US Virgin Islands this week to work for most of October, helping to feed and shelter those who have suffered losses from the hurricanes. That's a great fit for his skills and interests, because, honestly, his quilting talents are minimal...

Linking up with Sew Some Love.


21 comments:

  1. Wow, it looks beautiful! I never would have guessed all those Fabrics would go together so well. I meant to tell you, the stitch distance on the wool is 8 in. I think your stitch in the ditch around the triangles should be fine, but just so you know. And amen to that whole last paragraph! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love hourglass blocks and these are especially nice. Best wishes to your husband in VI. They need so much help; I'm glad ordinary Americans show what we are really made of. Thanks for linking with Kaleidsoscope of Butterflies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were spot on, Louise! Those fabrics really like being hourglass blocks! What you are doing is wonderful. Guided by one of your previous posts, I visited Kat and was so impressed i dug out my fall scraps and whipped up two blocks to send. How could I have a block drive and then not give back? I signed up to follow her. Safe travels to your husband.....another grand gesture! I enjoyed your post this morning. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Louise, I love the back and the front equally as well! Avocado goes great with all the oranges and reds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, your batik quilt is gorgeous! How fitting that it was inspired by a church window and will now bring blessings to those in need. Such wonderful things that you and your husband are doing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the hourglass....simple and striking ! Using up the leftover parts + others is such a smart move. You have some wonderful fabrics to work with for the next ones!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Groovy Dude is a perfect name! I haven't heard that in ages. My youngest son used to call grandma Grandma Dude when he was little. I can see why you were inspired by a church window. Inspiration comes in so many ways and it's fun to see what inspires a quilt.

    It's wonderful that CIL has grown and that Kat has volunteers like you. I really wish postage was not so expensive. I could by yards and yards of fabric for what it costs to mail quilts to my charities these days.

    And that butterfly fabric???? Guess what...I was making 39Ps from fabric just like that a few days ago.

    Good luck to your husband on his mission.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super awesome you can help Kat out so much. And wow your DH going to help out in the VI-Bless you both with such big hearts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well wishes to your DH as he embarks on his mission work. And kudos to you for motivating me to go see what CIL is about. LOVE Groovy Dude (front and back)!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great place to get some inspiration! Your finish turned out beautifully! How did you do the back?

    ReplyDelete
  11. What pretty fabrics in Groovy Dude (love the name), Louise! So great that you and DH both reach out by giving of your time for others. Hope his trip to VI goes well; I know he will be a great help to those in need.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is really gorgeous. I love those colors and the photo with the light coming through is so attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Inspired by a stained glass window and the flimsy is one! Gorgeous. God bless you both in your giving of your time and talents.

    ReplyDelete
  14. perfect pattern for your batiks - it looks great... and lovely cat range to play with. Great work that both you and your hubby are doing..... its so important

    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your dreamy photos! The quilt is great, too. I am a fan of QDB wool, also.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for encouraging charity work. When we help other people it comes back to us.
    Some day it will be our turn to need help.
    Great quilts and colors.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So beautiful. The flimsy really does look like stained glass just like your inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the quilt Louise, rich, rich colours. You sound as though you're really busy on the quilting front at the moment, always good! Hoping your husband has a safe journey to the US Virgin Islands - help is sorely needed!

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOVE it!!! Front, back, and future quilts, too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great choice for Groovy Dude, it lets the fabric tell their own story. The colors are so fiery and passionate.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is a great quilt. My friends and I are trying to find ways to use up our batiks for donation quilts and this one is awesome. Can I ask what size you started with?

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment and I'll reply as soon as I can.