Friday, August 19, 2016

Moving slowly


I've set up the Juki and started using it to quilt this gift piece. Right now I'm slowly stitching in the ditch around all the rectangles and will eventually fill in the cream background.

The Juki is performing very well. The mechanism is both stiffer and more solid than the Kenmore: it takes more effort to turn the hand wheel, but the whole machine is rock steady while running with the motor. The extra space through the harp is wonderful. I can rotate this whole lap quilt through it with ease. It seems to take more work to move the fabric under the embroidery foot, though, even with the presser foot pressure at the lowest setting.

However, that may be a function of my increasingly weak and painful shoulder. I have a rotator cuff injury in my right shoulder that is giving me fits. We've decided to spend a little more time here in Chattanooga so I can do some physical therapy. I don't think quilting is to blame for the injury, which hurts primarily when I lift my arm above shoulder height. While sewing doesn't hurt, it is tiring, so I'm dialing back how much I do each day to give my shoulder as much time and space as it needs to heal. 

7 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your shoulder and hope it heals quickly.

    Glad the new machine is performing well for you. I am anxious to once again try machine quilting.

    We will be passing near Chatanooga next week on our way to Cookville and then turning west for a family visit in NW Tennessee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure hope your shoulder gets better! I know about aches and pains...not all that fun to get old! I'm still in awe of all the sewing you get done in such cramped quarters!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hope your shoulder heals fast. I like that machine - it looks like you can get a lot done with it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm jealous of your new machine but not your shoulder pain. Hope it heals without rotator surgery. The twist quilt turned out lovely. I like the pattern design.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy that new machine! A couple of summers ago, I bought a Janome Horizon and absolutely love what I can do on it. I piece on my 1973 Kenmore, quilt on my Janome. Good luck with your therapy! Hope it works! XO

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope your shoulder gets better quickly! Your machine sounds great! I bought a machine with a large harp space about 18 months ago. It makes a huge difference!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not a doctor but I wonder if you have a frozen shoulder. I had one years ago and could barely lift my arm. I went to PT and it hurt worse so I did the unthinkable...I quit and let it freeze down. After about a year, it started feeling better and I could start moving it without hurting and now I have almost full range of motion. I think it just needed to heal on its own. Karen

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment and I'll reply as soon as I can.